Mississippi Fish in the Boston Harbor
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
  Katrina
http://www.redcross.org

Everyone’s safe.

That’s all that matters. My mother, step-father and sister Allyson all drove up to Monroe, LA and escaped any bad weather. Jason, Nancy and Jack drove to Georgia. They are in Columbus now and will be heading to her family’s house today or tomorrow.

My father, step-mom and step-sister, Kaitlyn all stayed in Diamondhead at the nursing home there. My father has to be there during storms, so he couldn’t evacuate.

Yesterday was stressful. The phone lines are all down as well as the cell towers and so staying in touch with family is tough. We didn’t hear anything from my dad until late last night, and that was rough. But once we heard from him, we were all relieved. Everyone’s safe.

Any time I call a number within the 228 area code, I get “Due to the hurricane, your call cannot be completed at this time.” It’s frustrating. Their cell phones work; but they can’t call each other… they can only call out of the 228 area code, so everyone’s calling and checking in with me so I can relay any information to the others when they call. It’s nice though, because at least I get to stay in some contact.

People feel helpless. My dad’s just a few miles from the house, but isn’t allowed back. He doesn’t know how bad the damage is, but he’s expecting the worst. Rumors are flying around, so no one really knows. Supposedly everything south of the tracks is under water, which includes my dad’s home, my aunt’s home, my cousin’s home and my sister’s apartment. My brother lives north of the tracks, and we’re all praying for minimal damage.

Thank goodness everyone got out. My brother almost didn’t evacuate until they announce it had strengthened to a Category 4. My cousin John and wife Michelle, son Austin and daughter Haley (our ring bearer and flower girl) also almost didn’t evacuate. Thank God SOMEONE talked sense into him. They left early Sunday evening, just in time. They are staying at a hotel in Little Rock, AR.

My Aunt and Uncle have a beautiful old home, right across from the beach. My Aunt loves that home. And she didn’t want to leave it. My Uncle Bruce told her he was leaving and she had no choice. He’s a doctor and was ready to drug her if he had to. They are staying with my cousin Lauren in Hot Springs, AR.

It was nice talking to my brother last night. We talked for a long time. He’s scared. I mean, its his home. Everything he owns. I could hear the helplessness in his voice. “Do you know if anyone’s gone by my house?” I had to explain that no one can go see anything and that dad was still at the nursing home, unable to leave.

I can’t imagine the fear. You had to leave with less than a days notice. You don’t have time to really think about what to take, and you don’t even think that you might not have anything to come back to. But being gone and told you can’t come back. It’s the unknown that’s so scary.

The last time I was this glued to the TV and internet was September 2001. And while the impact is exponentially less…. The glue factor’s the same. I can’t stop watching. I watched the TV from the time I got home until I fell asleep. And when we woke up, we turned it right back on.

I realize that the whole country’s concerned, but not obsessed with it. I’m obsessed with it. I watch the news for small glimpses of my home town, but really nothing looks familiar.

I honestly honestly hope that the news are only showing the worst of the worst and that most of the coast isn’t as bad as they are saying and that I’m obsessed over nothing.

Anyone reading, keep the entire Gulf Coast in your thoughts and prayers. And donate to the American Red Cross. Even those with insurance and money can’t buy running water and electricity.

Anyway, thanks for keeping my family in your thoughts and prayers. Your emails and phone calls me a lot. We are thankful everyone’s safe.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: MA, United States

Lisa Tilley Newman is a Boston and Mississippi Gulf Coast-based wedding and event photographer who is available throughout New England and the Gulf Coast. Inquire with her about availability for destination weddings around the world.

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / September 2005 / November 2005 /


Powered by Blogger