Mississippi Fish in the Boston Harbor
Friday, September 09, 2005
  My Gulf Coast...
Wow…. What a week. That’s all I can say.

I’ve cried… a lot.

You know, my heart is so broken. I love the Gulf Coast. It’s such a beautiful place with beautiful people. It has always bothered me that people view the south as poor and under-educated. I’ve never found that to be the case. There are poor parts to every state ad I think it’s the same profiling / generalizations that goes on with race, sex, etc. It’s just ignorant people thinking they know about a place they’ve never been to.

The Gulf Coast has some of the nicest people, nicest beaches, and best food in the country. We don’t lack culture… we have it all over. We have a diverse population… all races and religions. My high school was great. I know, I’m a dork who loved high school. And you know what… I was as prepared for Boston University as anyone there.

But you know… some are talking about how poor and “black” the south is… and I don’t know why they even open their mouths…

But everyone else is just pouring out their hearts… and helping. The rest of the country has been so wonderful giving money to the red cross and other organizations who are coming to our aid.

Individuals are donating money and food and offering up their homes to the people of the Gulf Coast.

It’s really amazing.

It’s amazing that the American public reacted faster than the national government (which is sad)… and I’ll leave my comments on Bush and Michael Brown for another day.

My company has done some great things for my family. They collected clothes and toiletries and supplies for my family. They also took up a collection and went out and purchased sleeping bags, batteries, etc for my family. And because the mail is not yet running in the region, they sent one of their OWN EMC delivery trucks down to deliver the goods to my moms house… so my dad, aunt, sister, etc could go there and pick up their boxes.

In fact, we shipped 50 boxes to my family in one week!!!!!!!! So many, that they’ll have to pass on some of the clothes and necessities to others….

It’s been an awful week and a great week. Awful things are happening to the most wonderful place on earth…. Yet, there has been so many prayers and so many wonderful people… it’s been a true blessing.

Everyone’s safe. I know that’s all that matters. They’ve lost everything they owned, and its got to be hell…. But they haven’t lost their family and they haven’t lost hope. Sometimes I think they’re handling better than I am.

It still breaks my heart that my childhood home is in ruins. I don’t know if I’ll ever see the house again.

I want to wake up and this all just be a dream.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: MA, United States

Lisa Tilley Newman is a Boston and Mississippi Gulf Coast-based wedding and event photographer who is available throughout New England and the Gulf Coast. Inquire with her about availability for destination weddings around the world.

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / September 2005 / November 2005 /


Powered by Blogger